- FSFF discovered that issue 1 of The Soundtrack (Vol. Issue 1, 2007), an otherwise subscription-only journal from Intellect, is openly accessible online:
Editorial: Prof. Stephen Deutsch; The sound of Coen comedy: music, dialogue and sound effects in Raising Arizona, by Randall Barnes; Post-production sound: a new production model for interactive media, by Rob Bridgett; The edge of perception: sound in Tarkovsky’s Stalker, by Stefan Smith; plus some David Lynch related reviews.
- From @MichaelGuillen of the always wonderful The Evening Class weblog, a “Robert Beavers Online Reader”
- Thanks to a recommendation by Corey Creekmur for the upcoming Critical Mass: Re-Viewing Hollis Frampton A Screening Series and Symposium October 2009 – February 2, FSFF heard that an essay on Frampton’s work — ‘Collecting His Thoughts: Remarks on the Writings of Hollis Frampton — by Bruce Jenkins is freely available online. It’s a sample chapter for Jenkins’ book On the Camera Arts and Consecutive Matters: The Writings of Hollis Frampton
- A must read article by Victor Burgin: ‘The Separateness of Things’ (referring to Edward Hopper‘s work, the Hays Code, Steven Shainberg‘s Secretary , and the work of Laura Mulvey) can be found at Tate Papers.
- Another wonderful Tate Papers‘ article is by Robert Bird: ‘Andrei Tarkovsky & Contemporary Art: Medium & Mediation‘, 2008
- It was Pixar Week at The House Next Door Online – a great event. Check out the list of contributions here.
- Check out a very interesting Deleuzo-Guattarian blogpost, if that’s your bag: ‘The ambivalence of the future (Flash Forward)’ by Matthew Holtmeier (@cinemawo).
- Also, see a really good anime blogpost by Alex Leavitt at the C3 blog on Time of Eve (Ibu no Jikan).
- Some more fabulous insights by Dan North (or @drnorth, as his Twitter moniker has it) on King Kong.
- Oh and, if you haven’t already, you must visit The Auteurs’ great list of film websites: ‘Sites & Rounds‘: “a blogroll… listing …places, friends and acquaintances we keep up with”. Film Studies For Free was deeply honoured to have made the cut and to be in such fantastic company.