Film Studies has lost two of its giants.
On Monday, Professor Teshome Gabriel of UCLA, a leading theorist and scholar of African, Third and Third World Cinema, and memory and cinema, passed away in Los Angeles.
And, just yesterday, Peter Brunette, Reynolds Professor of Film Studies at Wake Forest University, author of important books on film theory, Italian cinema and the work of individual film directors, and a very well-known and popular film critic, died while in attendance at the Taormina Film Festival in Italy.
Film Studies For free will post full, individual, tributes of its own to each of these scholars very shortly, but in the meantime is gathering together, below, a list of links to some of the online tributes to both men. If you know of any you would like to see included, please email FSFF, or link to them in the comments section of this post.
The author of this blog would like to pass on her sincere condolences to the families and friends of both men.
Tributes to Teshome Gabriel
- UCLA obituary
- Ethiopian Review obituary
- Friend, Master Storyteller, Scholar, and Humanist Par Excellence: Reminiscences of Teshome H. Gabriel, June 16, 2010 by Vinay Lal
- Teshome H. Gabriel dies at 70; UCLA professor and Third World cinema expert, by Dennis McLellan LA Times, June 17, 2010
Tributes to Peter Brunette
- Gerald Peary, ‘Peter Brunette, In Memory’, Indiewire.com, June 21, 2010
- Wake Forest University obituary
- The Hollywood Reporter report and obituary
- Writer Peter Brunette Dies at Italian Festival by Eugene Hernandez, Indiewire, June 16, 2010
- Film Scholar Brunette Dies at Taormina by Anne Thompson, Thompson on Hollywood, June 16, 2010
- Peter Brunette by Glenn Kenny, Some Came Running, June 16, 2010
- R.I.P. Peter Brunette, by Joe Leydon, MovingPictureBlog, June 16, 2010
- RIP Peter Brunette, by Movie Cricket, Salt Lake Tribune, June 16, 2010
- Film critic Brunette dies by Rachel Abrams, Variety.com, June 16, 2010
- Nick James, ‘Peter Brunette, 1944-2010’, Sight and Sound, June 17, 2010
- Issa Clubb, ‘Remembering Peter Brunette’, The Criterion Collection, June 23, 2010
- Peter Keough, ‘Peter Brunette 1944-2010’, Outside the Frame, The Boston Phoenix, June 22, 2010